Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Introducing Boston Morgan VanOrden


Here's the L&D story for those interested in all the details! ;) Monday night we finished packing bags and warmed up some leftovers for dinner. Mom and Dad stopped by on their way home from Rexburg to pick up Blake for the night, since we had instructions to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday for the induction. Dad helped Doug give me a priesthood blessing, and Blake took off with Grandma and Grandpa. Doug and I seriously weren't sure what to do with ourselves. Where Boston was already overdue, everything under the sun was ready and waiting. No to do list of any sort. So we picked up the house a little and turned the TV on. Just before 9 p.m./Jay Leno, I started having contractions. They were about 8-10 minutes apart and very mild. We watched Jay, and turned in for the night. I slept until about 2 a.m., and at this time contractions were 4 mintues apart, but still very mild. I took a bath and went back to bed. Doug and I got up about quarter after 4 to shower and finish packing for the hospital. My contractions had slowed down to about 8 minutes apart, but slightly stronger than before. I didn't time them while getting ready, I figured when we got to the hospital, they would put me on monitors and see if they were even real or what. We got to the hospital about 5:30 a.m., checked in and they sent us upstairs.

The nurse had me change and get in bed, and then put the monitors on, asked a few questions and said they were about to do shift change, so my nurse for the day would be in in a few to check me and whatever else. We got settled in our room, and the nurse came in. It took us about an hour to get an IV (for antibiotics for Group B strep), and then she checked me. She said I was a good 5 and since I was contracting on my own, she'd call the Dr. to see what he wanted to do. Dr. came just before 8 a.m., checked me again and said I was a 7, and quickly broke my water. Pain was manageable, but figured if I was already a 7 and my water was broke, I better get the epidural before it was too late. They got there quickly and before I knew it, I was pain free. Thank heavens for modern medicine!

We made a few phone calls to update family, and then I turned on a movie and thought I'd relax, thinking we'd have a baby by 12 or 1. The nurse checked me again a few mintues before 10 a.m. and said I was fully dialated. I started laughing, and she laughed too cause she said everytime I did, she could feel the baby move down even farther. Dr. Larson walked in at 10 a.m. and got the last few things ready, along with the nurses and then it was time to push. The first push was a learning session (its been 3 years since i've done this, okay) and by the third, we had a baby!

It was so quick and effortless, I feel like I cheated at Labor and Delivery! We had a mirror set up in front of me, and I got to witness the coolest miracle ever. Delivery time was 10:17 a.m.

They got Boston cleaned up and started all the newborn testing, while I got stitched up. He weighed in at 7 lbs. 2 oz. and is 20 inches long. He swallowed a bunch of junk on his way out, and was having hard time keeping his oxygen up, so they took him to the nursery to put him on oxygen. He was there for about an hour and then he was all ours. He has the softest skin and beautiful brown hair. He feels like a little pug with all this extra skin on his head. Boston is a very good baby. Doug and I got lots of sleep last night and are grateful for the fabulous care we are getting here at the hospital.

We are checking out of the hospital this afternoon about 4 and then we're headed home so Blake can meet Boston! I can't wait to see this little reunion happen: it could be interesting!

Boston is such a beautiful baby and after being scared to death of the newborn stage, I'm loving every second I get to snuggle with him. He is so sweet and so fresh from Heaven. We love him so much already! We'll try and take a few more picutres the next few days and post them soon. Thanks to all our families who have helped us get ready for Boston's arrival and have helped keep Blake while we're at the hospital. We couldn't do it without your love support!

8 comments:

Tari said...

Congrats, Laura! He's cute! Now get some rest! :)

Jake and Amy said...

Very cute!!! And you're right...you DID cheat at L&D :) Congrats!

Steph said...

Congratulations!! I hope things go well with the brother's meeting and that you continue to heal well!!

'T' said...

oh excellent! congrats.

Tera said...

Epidurals really are the best thing ever invented aren't they! He is adorable!

Hailey said...

Adorable... I could have cried reading that post! I can't wait to have another baby, it's the best! Congrats on such a beautiful baby boy!

Derek and Laressa Hanni said...

How neat. The second delivery is so much easier, however my first wasn't so hard either. I'm so excited for you congats.

Lori McNeel said...

Congratulations Laura! You have such a cute little family!